Monday, November 7, 2011

Leveling Books


This week I read the Rog and Burton article, Matching Texts and Readers: Leveling Early Reading Materials for Assessment and Instruction.  I really enjoyed this article.  It focused in on leveling books, which is a concept I had not given much thought to.  I guess I just assumed that the books would already be leveled…nope, wrong.  Even if the books come with a grade level on them, I learned I should level all books myself.  This article is definitely going to come in handy for my classroom.  The system they offer for leveling books is awesome!  One of the five things they considered while leveling books was size and layout of print. I have blogged about the importance of this in books before and I was so happy to see that it was an aspect of this leveling system.  I think it is so important to consider how a book looks to a child. If they think it looks too hard for them they can easily get discouraged.
Another aspect they considered was illustration support.  It was interesting to me that they focused on the pictures in books. They say, “Two factors can influence the amount of contextual support that illustrations provide: the extent to which the vocabulary can be associated with clear and concrete images, and the reader’s familiarity with the vocabulary.” I never thought that this aspect could be too important. Turns out it can be a big determiner of readability.
Here is a site that provides different level systems for teachers to reference!- http://classroom.jc-schools.net/pohlmanr/levelingbooks.html

2 comments:

  1. I agree, I think creating a leveling system for your students is a very important aspect of reading education. When I was in school I just assumed that the leveling system was standard for all children, it interesting to learn about all the different things that are considered when creating a leveling system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the website! Even though there is the issue of having so many inconsistent ways to level readers, I still think it is important for us as teachers to evaluate the different leveling resources out there!

    ReplyDelete