Monday, October 3, 2011

Phonemic Awareness

As a child, I struggled with reading.  I remember how hard it was for me when I came upon a bigger word in my readings. Most of the time I would just skip over it or use a different word in its place. I think it is very important for teachers to spend one on one time with their students using the phonemic techniques demonstrated in Clark's article What can I say Besides "Sound it Out"? I also loved the idea of letting more advanced students use the techniques they know to help a struggling peer.  I think this would help both readers grow in their reading abilities.  I believe if I had received more one on one time with either a teacher or a peer that was excited to read it would have helped me tremendously.I would have learned proper techniques to help me figure out the words instead of skipping over them and losing the content of the story.

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your post. I did okay with reading in school and really enjoyed it because I had teachers who really made reading fun, however my brother never had anyone at school who encouraged reading or helped him when he struggled- come high school he was 4 grade levels behind in his reading level. If he had more encouragement in school- my parents did all they could to get him to read- I think he would have enjoyed reading a lot more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julienne, thanks for sharing your personal connection. Sometimes it just takes an influential teacher to encourage a child to love reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of having peers help each other. I know that as a student I loved having the opportunity to work with my fellow students and it would also motivate me and push me to do better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think having students help each other is such a great tool for teachers to utilize! Also combining that with more time with a teacher could make such a dramatic impact on a students life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think many students learn to skip over words there unfamiliar with, sometimes I do it as a college student! I think peer reading groups is a great way to get children to ask questions about those unfamiliar words and figure them out, without the pressure of having to ask a teacher or ask in front of the whole class. I feel like this is something that many children may be more comfortable with.

    ReplyDelete