Monday, September 19, 2011

I love reading aloud!

As a second grader I hated reading.  It did not come easy to me and I felt as though it was a punishment. When I entered the third grade our class had a teachers assistant.  I thought she was so cool, just the best.  Everyday for about 20 minutes, she would read aloud a section of The Trumpet of the Swan.  The way she read with just ease and her voice made me fall in love with reading.  This weeks article by NAEYC & IRA talked about the importance of reading aloud and I could not agree with it more.  It not only gets some children, like me, interested in reading, it can help them develop reading skills and further their understanding. I do not think reading aloud should be solely for the lower elementary grades. I think it can be beneficial throughout someones high school years. My teacher read aloud to us in my Information Sciences 330 class and I looked forward to it almost every week!

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you! I think reading aloud is a great way to get children interested and excited about reading! Read alouds are a good chance for children to see an example of how good readers can take on the role of each character of the story and use different voices and mannerisms to depict the characters unique personality. It shows the children that the words on the pages carry meaning and tell an interesting story and will get them eager to know more about this think we call reading..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so thrilled your science teacher understood the importance of reading aloud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your post! I couldn't agree more about the importance of reading aloud. I thought of reading as a punishment too (maybe because it was used as punishment at the daycare I went to), but I always loved when teachers read aloud to the class.

    ReplyDelete